Monday, October 7, 2013

Alumna Creates Thor Quilt - Homecoming Drawing

I was just tickled when I found I could use my passion for quilting to help out the SUU Alumni Association. I made a Thor Rally quilt for myself last March and just loved the way it turned out. I was so happy to return to this pattern to make one for SUU. The pattern of the quilt is my own design. I wrote all the designing of this pattern on my blog. The Thor symbol on the quilt is a layered applique. That is taking lots of pieces of fabric, cutting them to the desired shape, and then sewing them all together. Sounds complex but not really, just a little time consuming. I spent about 6 hours making the logo alone. You can see how I made it step by step right here

I started quilting about 12 years ago. I asked my mother to teach me the basics before my husband and I and our oldest son moved across the country for medical school. I figured I would have lots of quiet nights to fill my time while Jacob studied. I enjoyed making baby blankets and an occasional large blanket for friends. In 2010 I discovered the "online" world of quilting. My hobby quickly turned to a passion. Since that time I have grown my blog to reach thousands of readers, shared so many tutorials, been published in magazines and books, and even started my own pattern line. I can't wait to see what the next years hold.

Submitted by Melissa Powell Corry ('00).

Melissa's Thor Quilt will be given away during Homecoming 2013. Suggested donations for the drawing:

3 Tickets for $5
8 Tickets for $10
20 Tickets for $20

Get your tickets by calling the Alumni Relations Office at 435-586-7777 or at Homecoming events on Thursday, Friday or Saturday (October 10-12).


P.S. Congratulations to Vanez Butler ('68) - winner of the Homecoming 2013 Thor Quilt!

No comments: