Tuesday, April 24, 2018

SUU to State Basketball Championships

Curtis & Clint Barney

Brothers Clint and Curtis Barney were raised in Panguitch, Utah, and both grew up loving sports. Today, they both coach basketball at Panguitch High School where Curtis coaches the girls team and Clint the boys, and both won a state championship in 2018.

Curtis Barney
Curtis graduated from Panguitch High School in 1980. After serving an LDS mission in Indiana, he married his wife Cindy, a native of Bountiful, Utah, and she convinced him to move to Salt Lake City and complete an accounting degree at Salt Lake Community College, which he did. However, Curtis’ heart was in southern Utah, and he then convinced Cindy that they should move to Cedar City to attend SUU (SUSC at the time) where Curtis earned his bachelor’s degree in business education. Said Curtis, “This was one of those monumental moves that forever changed my life, as I was able to find my way back to my hometown and begin my career.”

While at SUU, Curtis had many wonderful instructors who helped him. 

“They were so personable and it felt like each instructor was there to help just me,” he explains. “The SUU experience for me was great. I remember small class sizes while attending and building great relationships with the instructors. I remember one instructor telling me if I was going to be a teacher I had to quit talking like I was from Panguitch; they knew their students well.”   

Curtis especially enjoyed Dr. Steve Lunt. Even though his major was not in Dr. Lunt’s physical education department, he continued to take as many classes as he could from him. 

“My time at SUU prepared me not only for my career in education, but also continued to build my love for kids and athletics, especially basketball,” says Curtis. “SUU really taught me how important the teaching and coaching professions are, and how important it is to build student confidence.” 

In 1993, Curtis took the head coaching job at Panguitch High School for girls basketball.  He said, “I soon found out that girls will work just as hard has the boys and are very eager to learn and get better. I have enjoyed my 25+ years being a part of the girls basketball program at Panguitch High School.” 

Coach Barney has led the Lady Bobcats to a record-tying 11 state championship titles.

“I would like to thank all my players, their parents, other coaches I have crossed paths with, and most of all my wife and children,” he says. “They have been by my side through all these years and have been so supportive of me. It takes special people to be involved in the life of a coach.”

Curtis and Cindy have four wonderful children, Amanda, Tyler, Brady, and Chelsea.

Clint Barney
Clint graduated from Panguitch High School in 1988, and married his wife Missy after completing an LDS mission in England. The couple has six children, and they enjoy spending time together in the outdoors and playing sports. 

“I’m proud of all six of my children and the joy that they bring into my life,” he states.

Clint is currently head boys basketball coach at Panguitch High School where he also serves as athletic director and teaches math. From an early age, Clint knew that he wanted his career to involve being around youth and making a positive impact in their lives.

While at SUU, Clint studied secondary education. His experience at SUU taught him that hard work, dedication, and self-sacrifice are the characteristics needed to accomplish worthwhile goals. Of his time at SUU Clint reflects, “I was well prepared to enter into the education field because of the preparation given to me by the professors at SUU.”

When talking about his career highlights, Clint says, “Professionally, I’m proud that I’m able to represent Panguitch High School as a teacher and a coach. I have been involved in many state championship games in both baseball and basketball and have enjoyed sharing those memories with players, fans, and our community. In the classroom, I am proud of the students that I teach and the success that they have had in building their knowledge for the future.”  

Clint believes that SUU prepared him well for his career. “I enjoyed the experience I had at SUU,” he explains. “I enjoyed the small class sizes and the opportunity I had to know each one of my instructors. SUU taught me how to have a great work ethic and prepared me well to enter into the work force.”



No comments: