Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gerald R. Sherratt - Why I'm Grateful for SUU

It was in my freshman year at the Branch Agricultural College, now Southern Utah University, that I took a class in the Great Books. One of them was the Dialogues of Plato which in turn introduced me to Socrates, the Athenian philosopher who argues that “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates revolutionized human history, urging his fellow citizens to think, and to think hard, ask many questions and seek many answers, so that in the end, truth becomes apparent. Ordered to abandon his quest to seek truth, he forfeited his life.

I’m indebted to the BAC for making that acquaintance for me, as I have used the Socratic method (we call it today “critical thinking”) in approaching all of life’s many facets. And many times I have discovered––through questions and answers–– that what I thought was true, wasn’t. It has saved me from many a mistake.



The BAC was a special place. Even then, it was a liberal arts and sciences school. The teachers were well prepared and dedicated, and interested in their students. Some of them became life long friends whom I admired for their total commitment to quality teaching. Fortunately, the tenacity and hard work the faculty exhibited then still prevails at SUU, which is why the institution is gathering so many accolades and its graduates being so successful. 

Gerald R. Sherratt is a 1951 alumnus of SUU and resides in Cedar City, Utah.

No comments: