Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Juliann Jenne - Why I'm Grateful for SUU

With Thanksgiving coming up, I am happy to give pause to remember how attending Southern Utah University helped mold and shape me into the person I have become and has truly blessed my life. “My Favorite Things” is a song from “The Sound of Music" that is often sung at Christmastime (which I never understood), so to be festive, here is my rendition and tribute to my alma mater:


Personalized instruction with top-rate instructors
Who knew my name and were really great mentors,
Building a resume that really sings - 
These were a few of my favorite things.

S-U-U-S-A, G-H-A, and STAB,
A-S-B (Alternative Spring Break), shows, games, and dances were fab.
Getting involved and the friendships it brings - 
These were a few of my favorite things.

Living in Juniper and College Ave,
So many roommates and fun to be had.
Making new best friends from falls into springs - 
These were a few of my favorite things.

When the kids cry,
When the alarm rings,
When I'm feeling sad -
I simply remember my SUU days
And then I don't feel so bad.


An institution that is just the right size to feel like home, in an intimate setting - nestled in beautiful red hills and close to many of earth’s natural wonders - with quality instruction, wonderful peers, staff, and professors, SUU is a bit of heaven on earth. I’m grateful every day for the opportunities it afforded me and the lasting relationships I have had with truly quality individuals because I made the fateful decision to attend that marvelous university. Happy holidays to all of you and may you also reflect upon your golden days at SUU with joy and gratitude.


Juliann Smith Jenne is 2004 alumna of SUU where she earned a BA in English Education. She and her husband Aaron and their three children live in Salt Lake City.

No comments: