Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Marilyn Knoffsinger - Why I'm Grateful for SUU

Southern Utah State College provided a solid education for me and helped me sort through all available options. It helped me to select the major and minor that set me on a career in theatre, English, and education. It took some time for me to focus on classes and to complete assignments, but the faculty and staff members never gave up on me. They always supported and encouraged me; even my accounting professor who hounded me right up to graduation!

I loved the social aspect of SUSC! I gained lifelong friendships at the College. Some of my favorite memories of being involved in activities at SUSC include: breaking my arm in a production of Love’s Labour’s Lost on closing night, and being recognized with the Best Actress Award and the Student Achievement of the Year. I’ll never forget spending a solid week in the auditorium preparing for the Hall of Enchanted Trees. I don’t think anybody went to class that week!

A student’s four years extends beyond classrooms and text books, and SUSC provided many opportunities for extracurricular activity. There was always a place for any student to become involved, whether it was academics, athletics, the arts, student government, or clubs and committees. Every possible interest for every possible student was available.

I spent 25 years as a high school teacher, and I cannot tell you the number of times my professors’ words have spewed forth from my lips, much like the way we repeat the same things our parents said when we were younger! During an Advanced Placement Literature course I was teaching, I could hear Dr. David Lee’s poem analysis coming from my mouth. I still have Gary McIntyre’s handouts on drawing perspective scenery, which I made copies of and used for my technical theatre classes. I have also told and retold many of Fred Adams’ stories to my students in Pennsylvania.

I graduated in 1977 with more credits than required and still try to visit Cedar City as often as possible. I share my love of the city by bringing groups to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, Camp Shakespeare, and the national parks. It is my dream to continue sharing my memories and experiences of SUSC for as long as possible.

Marilyn Allen Knoffsinger is a 1977 alumna of SUU where she majored in Theatre Arts. She lives in State College, PA, and taught in the Bellefonte Area School District.

No comments: