Thursday, November 13, 2014

Janice Marriott - Why I'm Grateful for SUU

Back row left to right: Dave Gomez, Terry Leavitt and
Doug Bishop. Front row left to right: Janice Marriott,
Laura Bringhurst, Kay Henderson, Susie Traasdahl,
and Karen Bybee
I attended CSU – as it was then known – in the mid to late 1960’s. I am from a small Utah town, my uncle was a professor there, the second president of the college was from my home town, and my older sister was attending CSU during the time I was making my decision. It came down to two choices actually: Utah State University and CSU. Maybe I was coerced a bit, but it all turned out for the best.

Our classes at that time were not gigantic, which I was grateful for. We were able to get one-on-one help from teachers, actually became friends with them, and created friendships with other students in our classes.

I had the opportunity to be a Thunderette, a cheerleader, be in a sorority (Chi Sigma Upsilon) with leadership opportunities, and actually be a “queen” for a day. These opportunities gave me confidence in attaining leadership positions during my career.

But far and away the most important aspect of attending CSU is the friendships I cultivated while there. And after 50 years, I can attest that these friendships continue as close and as important as ever. If not for CSU and these friendships, my life would not be as fulfilled and enriched as it has been.

Pictured left to right: Vanez Butler ('68),
Ada Carpenter ('35 and former faculty member
DeAnn Linares, Vicki Gomez, Janice Brown
and Linda Rowley
I am grateful that my friends and I are able to return each year to Homecoming to see lots of old friends and make new memories. I am grateful to the Alumni Association team for all they do to keep us connected.

I will forever be grateful for my CSU experience.





Janice Brown Marriott is 1968 alumna of SUU where she majored in Business Administration, Family Life and Fun! Janice lives in Layton, Utah.

No comments: